Technology Research, LLC
- Technology Research, LLC (TRC) is a leading manufacturer of
electrical safety products. Based in Clearwater, Florida, TRC
designs, develops and manufactures products that prevent electrical
fires and protect people and pets from electrocution and serious
injury caused by electrical shock.
- The company was founded in 1981 by Raymond H. Legatti and
Raymond B. Wood. Both had worked for Electromagnetic Industries, a
subsidiary of the Square D Company where Legatti served as
president and Wood held a senior management position.
- TRC's original business plan was to develop a military product
base for engine generator set controls, where founders had over 30
years experience. During its first year of operation, the company
qualified 22 military products for sale to the U.S. government and
its prime contractors, a major accomplishment.
- The next phase of TRC's business plan involved leveraging
management's functional expertise into commercial electrical safety
products, primarily based on ground fault sensing technology.
- Experiencing a great deal of early success, the company went
public in 1984. It traded on NASDAQ National Market under the
- By 1987, TRC had developed its patented "core" technology,
Shock Shield, for ground fault sensing that would lead to a variety
of applications for safer homes and workplaces.
- Also in 1987, TRC's Shock Shield® ground fault circuit
interrupter (GFCI) product received The Governor's New Product
Award, another major accomplishment.
- Since 1981, when TRC was founded, the development of ground
fault technology has grown into product lines known as Shock
Shield® , Fire Shield® , HD-PRO™, and Surge Guard®
- TRC has unparalleled leadership in the design and production of
ground fault protection devices. The company's Fire Shield
technology has many applications including sophisticated electrical
extension cords, surge strips, and power cords for appliances.
- The 2002 National Electrical Code (NEC) mandated cord fire
protection (AFCI or LCDI protected cord sets) on all room air
conditioners. Fire Shield technology met this code requirement. All
room air conditioners built beginning in 2004 have AFCI or LCDI
protected cord sets.
- Most of the company's products are listed by Underwriters
Laboratories (UL) and the Canadian Standards Association (CSA),
approved by various safety standards bodies and meet U. S.
government safety regulations. TRC's wholly owned manufacturing
facility in Honduras is ISO 9002 certified - a worldwide recognized
- March 2010 TRC completed the acquisition of 100% of the common
stock of Patco Electronics, Inc. Patco designs and manufactures
battery management tools for secondary or re-chargeable batteries
in several battery chemistries and its product solutions support
customers in military, commercial and industrial sectors.
- In November 2010 TRC announced their acquisition of the assets
associated with the Shoreline Reels product line owned by TDI
Products, Inc. Shoreline Reels products are manual and motorized
cord and hose reels for recreational vehicles (RV), specialty
vehicles, boats, and other industrial applications.
- TRC's vision remains firmly in place - to develop customer
focused power management solutions and market products worldwide
that contribute to the level of safety where people work and live.
The Company also continues to be a primary supplier of power
control and monitoring equipment used by the U.S. military and its
- In May of 2011, TRC was acquired by Coleman Cable, Inc.,
Waukegan, Il, (Nasdaq: CCIX), a leading manufacturer and innovator
of electrical and electronic wire and cable products for the
security, sound, telecommunications, electrical, commercial,
industrial, and automotive industries. With extensive design and
production capabilities and a long-standing dedication to customer
service, Coleman Cable, Inc. is the preferred choice of cable and
wire users throughout the United States. For more information,
please visit www.ColemanCable.com
- Coleman Cable, Inc. was acquired by Southwire, North America's
leading manufacturer of wire and cable used in the distribution
and transmission of electricity. TRC is a Southwire
Send a Message to the Corporate Office